Friday, June 15, 2012
Jake is on the good team
I haven't really blogged much about our family's spiritual journey. I probably should...I guess it has just not been the exciting race that I expected. Often it seems more like Henry the Siamese, in the Cross Country Cat when he first puts on his skiis and is plodding along without rhythm. We have a hard time praying or reading the Bible regularly, it always seems like learning verses or the chatecism is like pulling teeth for all of us. But, God continues to amaze me with his faithfulness, though, despite our plodding journey. Amidst a busy week with lots of tantrums, arguing, and tired nannies and mommy, He reminded me of what it is really all about. It started when Jake got the "love" fruit of the spirit award in preschool this week. It's the last week of preschool and Jake's teachers, Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Stephens, gave out the awards. He was the only one who got love and they both seemed really sincere about it. Then they picked him to give flowers to his Sunday School teacher who is also the retiring director of the preschool. He did a great job, completing the job with a big hug for Mrs. Littlefield. Finally, he and I got to spend some time hanging out this evening. We played cribbage, looked for Waldo, read Rum Tum Tugger by TS Eliot (this isn't a normal evening, believe me, usually we are arguing about how much computer time he gets). After dinner he asked about how bad guys can get on the good team. Chapel Hill teaches the kids about Jesus, using an analogy of him being the Good Coach and they are on the Good Team. We talked about how bad guys can say they are sorry and ask Jesus into their hearts. I couldn't resist the opportunity and mentioned how we all started out on the bad team but Jesus changed everything for us. He was totally into talking about it, which he never has been. Then as we are talking about what we are thankful for before bed, he asks if he can ask Jesus in his heart. I was completely floored. So we prayed. It was probably the first time he's really prayed, too. He always wants me or Scott to pray. Simple stuff, but what an amazing gift from the Lord. Jake, you are a wonderful example of love, peace, and faith. I am thankful for you! Welcome to the team...we're plodding cross country skiiers in this family, but we look forward to getting some more rhythm with you on board! Psalm 30:2.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Not "simple stuff" at all!! Amazing! I'm so glad to have him on the good team! I am so thankful for Jesus and how he works in little hearts!
Wow Mandy, this is such great stuff, and I am so glad you shared it. Good job Jakie, thank you Lord! mom
Post a Comment