Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Amazing things Jake does

Scott and I were making a list of the amazing things that Jake has learned to do in the last 3 months since I returned from Afghanistan. Some days, it feels like he is growing up right before our eyes. Here's the list we came up with:
1. He can hold a carton of milk, drink from the straw or straight from the carton. Along those lines, he drinks really well out of a cup.
2. He can say so many words. They all require great encouragement and repeating what we say, but he's adding new ones to his vocabulary every day. Today he said cucumber, which was a little garbled, but definitely understandable. He says hi, bye-bye, mommy, daddy, Jakie, kitty, doggie, please, down, up, meow, and other words that I can't think of right now.
3. He can climb anything. I mean anything. All the climbing ladders at the park are his favorite. He hasn't figured out that chairs help him climb at home. Or it might be that we only have 2 chairs in the entire house right now...
4. He spontaneously hugs and kisses Scott and I. Awesome!
5. He waves, hi and good-bye. He gives high fives and knuckles, which I figure Uncle James would appreciate.
6. He runs, jumps, walks backward, and gallops. I can't keep up with him!
7. He throws his trash away, puts his clothes in the hamper, and puts his shoes by the door. None of this happens without encouragement, but he still does it.

I know these are all things that a kid should be doing, but to watch Jake learn how to do everything for the first time is amazing!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Such a fun, smart, responsible little guy! I feel like I know him even though we've never actually met. I still can't get over the whole McGrail boy phenomenon. Those lil' boys will probably play so differently than we did, but have just as much fun. So cute!

Heather said...

Holy cow! This kid is incredible. His vocabulary may be bigger than mine... Wait, teach him "vocabulary." And the climbing stuff, I say get him some more chairs. Don't wait for the furniture to arrive.